This is our final message in our series about miracles. We looked at the miracle of salvation and the life of Zacchaeus. Anyone who stops pursuing selfish desires and pursues the Spirit of God is a miracle. Next we did the miracle of provision and how God provides. He stretches what we have, like the widow with the oil and the unexpected manna from Heaven. He transforms water into wine and uses people like the feeding of the 5,000. Last week Brian did a wonderful job of teaching us the miracle of healing. There are two kinds of sickness, physical and spiritual. The effects of sickness are stigma and separation. The way that Jesus healed was he saw, touched, and spoke in Jesus’ name wit authority over sickness. He then restores them back to their family or position.
I am going to talk along those same lines today. In fact, Brian talked about the “bent” woman and I want to talk about her as well. We are going to look at the miracle of victory. Let’s read Revelation 19:1 “After this, I heard what sounded like a vast crowd in heaven shouting, “Praise the Lord! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God.””
I brought my fishing pole to church on Sunday morning. I will be the first to admit that I am not a good fisherman. I do enjoy it for brief moments, however I have too short of an attention span. Every now and then, or on an extremely rare occasion I catch something. It always ends up seeming bigger than it really is. When you hook a fish you want to keep it on the line and reel it all the way in. To help with that the hooks have a barb on the end. That barb is what keeps the fish from coming off the line. The fish fights, fights, and fights to get off the line, he doesn’t want to be hooked.
Sometimes in life we get hooked. We fight, fight, and fight to get off the line and to break free.
Let’s look at Luke 13:10:17 “One Sabbath day as Jesus was teaching in a synagogue, he saw a woman who had been crippled by an evil spirit. She had been bent double for eighteen years and was unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, “Dear woman, you are healed of your sickness!” Then he touched her, and instantly she could stand straight. How she praised God! But the leader in charge of the synagogue was indignant that Jesus had healed her on the Sabbath day. “There are six days of the week for working,” he said to the crowd. “Come on those days to be healed, not on the Sabbath.” But the Lord replied, “You hypocrites! Each of you works on the Sabbath day! Don’t you untie your ox or your donkey from its stall on the Sabbath and lead it out for water? This dear woman, a daughter of Abraham, has been held in bondage by Satan for eighteen years. Isn’t it right that she be released, even on the Sabbath?” This shamed his enemies, but all the people rejoiced at the wonderful things he did.”
This is the story of the bent woman that Brian talked about last week. She was bent for 18 years of her life. Verse 16 tells us why because she had “been held in bondage by Satan”. The Devil got his hook in her. We don’t know how or why, but we do know she has been hooked for 18 years. Her physical problem was a result of a spiritual condition.
How do we get hooked?
- Took the Bait- Just like that lure, that fly, that worm, that power bait tempted the fish. You were tempted, you took the bait, and now you’re hooked.
- Got snagged- When I went salmon fishing we didn’t take any bait. We just threw our line out and snagged the salmon swimming across. The enemy can snag you. He hates you, he wants you to fail. He is constantly throwing hooks and every now and then, he snags one.
I love what Jesus says to her “woman, you are set free”. Hallelujah, the hook is removed, the line cut. You are set free.
Hope for the hooked- Colossians 2:8 “Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.”
- You are complete in Christ when you come to him- When you have relationship with him, you are complete. You didn’t get hooked because you are lacking. You don’t have to work extra hard to be whole, you are already complete in Him.
- Trust the mighty power of God- All power, all might, all authority belong ti Him. At the name of Jesus, every knee will bow. Hooks are removed. If you have ever been hooked by a real hook you know there is huge fear in removing it because of the barbs. Some are holding on to the hook for the fear of the pain in removing it. Jesus heals all of those wounds.
- His victory is your victory- He cancels the record, the shame is disarmed. There is victory from the cross.
How do we get unhooked?
- Confession- To God; 1 John 1:9 “But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.”
To others; Revelation 12:11 “And they have defeated him by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony. And they did not love their lives so much that they were afraid to die.”
Get in small groups: We have Celebrate Recovery, Coffee Talk, Men’s Small Groups. Find an accountability partner
Boundaries: You can’t get bound if you have boundaries.
To listen to this message online or to learn more about The Warehouse visit our website at www.thewarehouseoc.com